Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 November 2014

Centennial explanation

Have you ever wondered if the current school office building was the first building on our Waimairi School site?


I had access to old photos of the first Waimairi School building, built in 1914. It was an old black and white photo that had been collected in an old school photo album that was put together by Daph, our old school bursar.


Then I decided to make cards of the old school building, good enough to sell. I photocopied and enlarged a photo of the school building, traced the outline using the light from the window, the next step was the hardest - adding the detail and getting the angles right. I water-coloured the final result then I wrote my name onto the sketches of the building.  Next I printed them onto cardboard cards ready to sell.  In the future I wonder what the school will look like when it is rebuilt?


At the start when our teachers mentioned backstories my understanding was at pre structural and I had no idea what they meant. My understanding has changed a lot since the start: now I know exactly what a backstory is but I haven't been able to uncover any. A backstory is an historical event or a personal story. I learnt a heap of knowlege about drawing and sketching . If I didn't learn all of that then my card drawings wouldn't be as good a quality as my cards were. My turning point was when I had a first attempt at the drawing and printed them off on coloured paper but it was suggested that I could improve on the drawing. I was starting again for my second attempt, then I was feeling pretty confident about our project. I feel very proud of my project, it has reached a high standard and I feel there is nothing left to do, but next time I will try to be more organised and uncover a backstory. I also discovered that first attempts are not always the best and it is worth having a go at a second.

1914school.JPG

This is the whole of waimairi in 1914.

This is my uncover, connect, showcase rubric.


Finally the graph of learning of how I went from start to finish.

1 comment:

  1. That's some great learning Scott, to discover that a second attempt is worthwhile. I'd love to see a photo of your cards….can you post a photo too?

    ReplyDelete